Become a Bicycle Friendly Business
Local businesses find that catering to bicyclists, and encouraging employees to bicycle, pays off in both the short-term and the long-run. In cities across the U.S. and the globe, people who ride bicycles to the store spend the most collectively among all modes, and also make more trips than motorists. Encouraging bicycling also benefits local business through an expanded customer base, happier and healthier employees, and decreased costs for maintaining parking spaces, lots and garages.
Businesses that want to be bicycle-friendly are encouraged to participate in the following programs:
- Offer a discount to customers who arrive by bicycle through the Bicycle Benefits program.
- Participate in the Tap-It water refilling program.
- Give employees access to the commuter fringe benefits provided by the Bicycle Commuter Act.
- Provide bicycle parking for customers:
- Promote bicycling by sponosoring an employee bicycle team.
SLC Bicycle Friendly Businesses
Salt Lake City encourages businesses within the City to apply to the League of American Bicyclists' Bicycle Friendly Businesses Program, which provides suggestions, benchmarking, and recognition.
The following local businesses have been recognized by the League of American Bicyclists, as of May 2012.
- Salt Lake City Bicycle Co. - 6 employees - Silver
- Saturday Cycles - 5 employees - Silver
- InterContinental Hotels Group - 645 employees - Bronze
- Rockwell Collins Inc. - 240 employees - Bronze
- Myrexis, Inc. - 160 employees - Honorable Mention
- Visit Salt Lake - 45 employees - Honorable Mention